It has been a busy and exciting year for Ohbijou, so maybe we’ll just take a moment to summarize some highlights:
1. We released Beacons! It took 3 years, and was recorded all over the country from beds at Jamie’s grandmother’s cottage in Muskoka region, to the awe inspiring Banff Centre for the Arts, to our beloved practice space and former home of Casey and Jenny fondly known as “Bellwoods”, to home sessions with the album’s fearless and dedicated engineer/producer Chris Stringer. A big thank you to everyone who helped us make the album, we couldn’t have done it without you.
2. We got signed! Thanks to Bella Union in Europe and Last Gang Records in North America for taking the leap with us, we are eternally grateful for all your help and support.
3. We went to Texas! This year, we got to fulfill a big dream of ours by playing at SXSW, and what made it even better was that a ton of our band friends were there too! Props to the Wooden Sky, The D’Urbervilles, Gentleman Reg, and The Rural Alberta Advantage! We look forward to returning to Austin in 2010!
4. We went to Europe! Twice! Wow was it ever amazing, so scenic and interesting and we met so many amazing new friends along the way. Big thanks to our Tour Manager Matt Shrimpton and Scott Milner, for your humour and for getting us to all our destinations safely!
5. We did a Cross-Canada tour! It was wonderful to return to so many cities across our nation, each time we get more familiar with the venues, promoters and fans that make each tour stop unique and we are so thankful for the warm reception from our audiences. There really is no place like home! Also, we must do a shout out to our dear friends/touring partners the Acorn who always make touring fun with their dodgeball games, sanddune climbing and dice gambling.
6. Friends in Bellwoods II! The double-disk sensation curated by Casey and James has raised approximately $20,000 for the Daily Bread Food bank in Toronto, visit friendsinbellwoods.com for more information.
7. Exploding Motor Car made us a kick ass video! An ambitious stop-motion animation masterpiece – click here to be amazed if you haven’t seen it yet. Thanks so much to everyone at Exploding Motor Car, and to Videofact for making it possible.
8. CBC is the best! We would like to take a moment to thank CBC for all their support, and for playing our music. We were privileged to make appearances on Definitely Not The Opera, GO, Q, Sounds of the Season this year, and we had a fantastic time. Thank you CBC, we love you!
Finally, we’d like to extend a humongous thank you to our friends, families, fans, and loved ones for all your support in 2009. So from our hearts to yours, below is a link to a holiday surprise we recorded just for you. We must also thank George Michael for writing such a gem of a song!
Ohbijou – Last Christmas
Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones!
P.S. Those who signed up to our Ohbijou News Mailing list got the “Last Christmas” track first, if you’d like to be notified of future early-bird goodies, join the mailing list now!